Printed in the Conscious Creation Journal
February 1999, Issue 4
Live the Dream: An Out-of-Body Tale
by Lisa Wallach
In the fall of 1982 my Science teacher announced that we were to select a topic and develop an oral report for the class. It was to be 10-15 minutes long and we could use any scientific genre. I remember making my selection in my mind, The Occult Sciences. I felt heat rise up from my body to my head. I was so proud of my decision; it was different, new, and exciting. I knew there would be no other report like it.
There was a wonderful used bookstore on Brighton Beach Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. It was walking distance from my home and over the years we had developed a wonderful relationship with the owners. They would let me climb up the stepladders and pull boxes of books out. They would let me rummage for hours trying to find what interested me. On this particular day my Mother and I went in to find some material for me to use for my oral report. The book was called, “The Magic Powers of Witchcraft, by Gavin and Yvonne Frost”.
I took the book home and began to read. I had not really intended to use Witchcraft as the basis for my report but I had to work with the material I had at the time. I began to read about Candle magic, not too bad, it could be done. Blood magic, no way in hell or on Earth was I going to try this! Then Sex Magic, now they completely lost me. Virginity and sex magic were conflicting to say the least. Then this tiny little wonderful chapter appeared before me. It was called Astral Travel and I became enamored with the idea.
The book suggested that you could leave your body behind like Indian Guru’s and travel the world. I was fascinated. The chapter was about a page and a half long. I kept on going back to re-read the tiny, little chapter hoping that additional pages would magically appear before my eyes. Truly I was hoping that more information would be squeezed from the book somehow.
The book suggested that the only thing you needed to do was have the desire and will to induce this astral state. I began immediately. Every night for months I would beg, plead, bargain, and cry to God, the universe, whatever, “Please let me do this one thing! Please let me experience Astral Travel! Pleeeezzzzeeee!” I was denied.
I gave my report on Witchcraft to the class. Instead of the usual 10-15 minutes I spoke for the entire period. I answered questions for the majority of my oration. After that certain individuals called me “Witch” until the end of High School. I got an “A” and life returned to normal.
After a few months of my nightly begging I was becoming distressed. It just wasn’t happening. I returned to the bookstore but we were unable to find any books written on the subject. I remember deciding to just give it a rest. I was stressing myself out over this. It turned out to be the best decision that I could have made.
I was laying in bed one night watching “Star Trek” on channel 11, WPIX in New York. It was the episode in which Mr. Spock gets sprayed with the spores on this planet. He even got to kiss a blond woman! I was a little sleepy and I closed my eyes. I began to think about my day, I had gone to my friend Gina’s house and as I was riding home on my bicycle the wind was hitting my face and making my eyes tear. It felt nice.
All of a sudden I began to actually feel wind on my face and blowing through my hair. Confused I sat up in bed. Mr. Spock was still there kissing the blond chick. My room was still my room except that the window and terrace door had a white-silvery glowing thing happening. The bookshelves were above my bed as usual. There were little tiny sparkly lights dancing near the doorway to my room. The major thing that got to me was the fact that I was paralyzed completely. I began to panic. I didn’t know what to do until the voice in my head said, “Lisa, think lay down, Think lay down.” I thought and then a big whoosh came and knocked me onto my pillows. I opened my eyes with a start and realized that I hadn’t moved at all. I slept with the lights on for the next few nights. Teenage angst is a powerful catalyst for esoteric experience.
In the beginning I begged and pleaded with my Self for months to have an OBE. As soon as I let it go I had one. I think that this is one thing that people who desire an OBE forget to do. Let it go! Out into the universe.
Still the question remains… What can we do? Well, you’re in luck. There are many, many options open to you.
One vital element I believe helps quite a bit is allowing your self to have an OBE. Please remind yourself that you go OOB EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SLEEP. So you already do it. Secondly, when you “ask” for an OBE give yourself permission to have one. It is YOUR SELF that you are communicating with, not some outside arbitrary force. Why wouldn’t you allow YOUR SELF to have an OBE?
How to communicate the desire to go OBE:
1) Seth describes this technique for creating realities and I find it to be extremely effective. Use your imagination, meditation, and thoughts to create this reality. He mentions that two weeks will be sufficient and then…forget about it. If it pops back into your thoughts after that time just re-affirm your intentions, remind yourself that you already have permission to experience an OBE consciously and gently push it out of your mind. KNOWING and BELIEVING that you WILL HAVE ONE! 🙂
2) Affirmations to your Self. You need to remind yourself that you are not asking for an OBE. You are asking for the “conscious awareness” and the ability to “recall” your inherent nocturnal adventures. Remember: You already do this anyway…
3) Dreams: this is an excellent way to experience an OBE. When you are dreaming and become lucid you can manipulate the situation into an OBE. As soon as you realize that you are dreaming tell yourself how nice it would feel to just float up. That it would be the most wonderful thing in the world to just fly up. Repeat the thought over and over. I always feel an excelleration when I go OBE this way. Whatever happens remain calm (although it is very excitable) and go with the experience.
Note: It is a good idea to remind yourself before you go to sleep that when you become lucid while dreaming you will apply this technique. I find that a focus and a plan always assist me in my adventures. Remember: It is a realm of thought and will. You need to think in order to move, or to see, or to obtain a higher degree of clarity. If you need something while you’re OOB, think it.
Another thing about dreams…Falling, traveling via any means of motion are GIGANTIC INDICATORS of an OBE. I’m mostly driving in my car when I’m overcome with physical paralysis. That’s when I realize that I am dreaming. Then I push the accelerator to the floor and go OUT. Figure out what you want to do the next time you feel yourself falling.
4) Intensive meditation: I do this while lying in bed prior to sleep. Just try to deepen the meditation as much as possible. Experiment with sensing vibrational changes within your body. See where the energy comes from… My OBE’s are primarily spontaneous (and frequent). I have used this technique and it does work.
5) Exhaustion: When you are so tired that you cannot even keep your eyes open is a great time to go OOB. As soon as you lay down stay FOCUSED! Your body falls asleep almost immediately but maintain your awareness with the intent to experience your OOB State. I (almost) always go out when I’m that tired. Sometimes you fall sleep/unconscious for a minute or two during a “transition time”. It helps to give yourself the suggestion that if you do lose awareness you will regain it as soon as you will begin your OOB State.
6) Intuition: Some days I just know that I will have an OBE that night. Trust yourself and you can do anything.
Well, that should help you get started. It really is easy to accomplish. All you need is the conscious memory and awareness of it. No biggie!
If you have any more questions or need anything let me know.
Please don’t look at these as “guidelines” or “instructions”. You don’t need to follow this letter by letter. Do what feels right, try adding you own ideas and principles. This should be an un-limiting experience not a limiting one so be realistic in the sense that you need to do what feels the best for you.
See you in the cosmos,
(c)1999, Lisa Wallach. Published in the February 1999 Issue of the Conscious Creation Journal. (Feel free to copy this column for personal use – Please include this copyright statement.) http://www.consciouscreation.com/